Wednesday, August 15, 2007

1and1 Internet - A firm to avoid

I am having the most appalling problem with 1and1 internet, who are now threatening me with court action over non-payment of some domain names I ordered about a month and a half ago.

Thing is, I actually paid for them three weeks ago.

They initally rejected my debit card payment, even though it worked the prior purchase time. They then asked for direct bank transfer, which I made immediately.

Fair enough that these problems occur initially, but my bank has confirmed the money was successfully sent so you think they'd be more thorough about checking up before subsequently sending me SIX threatening letters.

And it's still not resolved...my account is now LOCKED.

A quick look around the net reveals a lot of other people having hassles with this mob, so I'd certainly put them down as one to avoid.

Needless to say the domains will shortly be transfered. I've never had any problems with 123-reg, touch wood.

3 comments:

VikingRaider said...

Thankfully it's sorted out now and they finally admitted payment WAS sent when I said it was. Took an extra 3 days to Unlock my account though.

Amazing how many threatening letters they can send in a month. Quite a computer system they have there. Obviously well geared up to extorting money from people with threats, seven letters in 4 weeks ain't bad, ranging from "We have not received your payment" to "Interest and fees will be added" and then finally "Imminent passing to our debt collection service".

No compensation whatsoever and my requests ignored. A few free domain credits wouldn't have amiss.

So if anyone knows a registrar who'll do free transfer of .eu domains then I'm interested.

VikingRaider said...

While you might consider I'm a just a serial complainer, one internet hosting company I highly recommend is One

Their signing up process and account navigation is very easy to use and with their templates and web page editor you don't need much knowledge of HTML to knock up something decent.

Based in Denmark, they replied quickly in English to any queries I've ever had, and serve customers worldwide. So check em out at One.

But if you need to register a lot of domains and have no need for the extras then avoid 1and1.

VikingRaider said...

After finding myself with a few more domain names to manage nowadays, I was looking for a cheap hosting company with the facility to host multiple domains. This is the one thing that the otherwise excellent One do not offer.

So I'll be keeping my One account for the main domain, but after shopping around I found an excellent company called Servage.

Based in Germany, near the Danish border, so seemed quite an advantage to be able to drive down if anything serious ever goes wrong. So far support has been excellent and I now have a load of domains running with no downtime I've noticed.

Use this link here and you'll even get allocated some extra bandwidth!